Search This Blog

Monday, June 9, 2014

How To Score High Grades In College While Studying Less

I just finished reading How to Become a Straight-A Student: The Unconventional Strategies Real College Students Use to Score High While Studying Less by Cal NewPort. Normally I do not read these kinds of books for two reasons: One, I do not believe they are effective. Two, I believe what works for one person may or may not work for another. There is no one-size-fits-all strategy for academic success. Despite these hesitations, I decided to give this book a chance. (Somewhat ironic considering I just graduated from college last month and I am likely done with all schooling.) I was pleasantly suprised. In my opinion, this book was one of the better academic self-help type books I have read. (admittedly, I have read very few for my standards). Part of the reason I think I enjoyed it is because it acknowledged the importance of leading a well-balanced academic life, something I think is important. For example, consider the following excerpts:

"Above all, remember that college is a multifaceted experience, of which grades are just one of many important pieces. It's my hope that this book will help you painlessly conquer this one piece so you can have more time and energy to explore all of the others - the friends, the unburdened idealism, the heroic beer consumption - that make these four years so rich."

"All the people I ever admired and respected led balanced lives - studying hard, partying hard, as well as being involved in activities and getting a decent amount of sleep each night. I really think this is the only logical defensible way of doing things."

While high grades are certainly important, they are not the only thing.

There are two other reasons I liked this book. One, the author wrote it by compiling survey answers from various straight-A college students. The advice was from students, not some random author. Two, the author stressed systems for being productive, something I have written about in the past. 

Overall, is this book worth a read? Probably not. But is it possibly worth a quick skim? Depending on your circumstances, I would say yes.

-Joe


No comments:

Post a Comment