Search This Blog

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Why People Do Not Read

My friend, Max, recently posed the question on Facebook, "What do you think is the main reason/s that kids don't like to read?" I found it to be a very interesting and thought provoking question. I have grappled with a similar question for some time now.

However, before I attempt to give my opinion on the answer, it is important to make some key distinctions. One, there is a difference between "What do you think is the main reason/s that kids don't like to read?" and "What do you think is the main reason/s that kids don't read?" I will not attempt to answer why kids don't like to read because that would be speculation on my part; rather, I will attempt to answer the latter. Second, I will replace the word "kids" with "people." Kids do not always have the same freedom of choices compared to adults. Therefore, I believe it to be more exploratory to answer the question as it applies to "people." So to clarify, the question I will attempt to answer is as follows:

"What do I think is the main reason/s that people don't read?"

My answer to this question is surprisingly simple. It is not important to them. Everyone has the same hours in the day. We make time for things that are important to us and we do not make time for the things that are unimportant. This is true for everything, not just reading. It is as simple as that. Rather than reading we choose to text, play video games, browse the internet, watch SportsCenter, etc.  I am not insinuating that these are bad things. If we choose to do these things rather than read, we are deciding that they are more important to us. Again, if it is important, we will make time. My co-author of this blog wakes up early each day to read before going to work. When I was reading 15+ books a month, I would read at least an hour every day. No matter what my day consisted off, I would read for one hour. I could continue to cite numerous examples regarding prioritizing but hopefully the point is understood. We make time for what is important to us and we do not make time for what is unimportant. If people do not read, it is because it is not important to them.

-Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment