Search This Blog

Friday, April 18, 2014

Any book not worth rereading isn't worth reading

“A good book gets better at the second reading. A great book at the third. Any book not worth rereading isn't worth reading.” 
                -Nassim Nicholas Taleb

I recently finished rereading the book “Liar’s Poker” for a third time. This post has very little to do with Michael Lewis’s semi-autobiographical illustration of the ecosystem of Wall Street in the late 1980’s, other than me giving my strong recommendation that you read it. The book can be found here. The main point that I took away from what had transpired throughout my read was that I reread Liars Poker not solely for entertainment, but because I sensed that I could still learn more from Lewis’s story. That desire to further learn is becoming more and more part of my main reading strategies. As Taleb states above, if it’s not worth rereading it’s probably not worth reading. This is one of my tools I use in ascertaining whether or not I’m going to pick up and start a book; “Will this be something I will probably read again?”

For a long time it was difficult for me to pick up a book and begin to read. Individuals would recommend texts to me and give their own personal dialog on why I should read; none of these tactics worked. What I realize now is that I lacked a clear sense of purpose. Presently, when I am in the process of choosing a text to read I ask myself “what am I trying to take away from this?” If it’s solely to relax, fine, but more often than not it’s a book that I sense I can use to further position myself to be successful.

This strategy: developing a “clear sense of purpose” piggybacks off of one of my favorite blog posts by Shane Parish, appropriately titled “how to read a book”. Parish requests we ask ourselves a similar question - “are we reading for knowledge or understanding?” Parish claims that unless the writer is your superior in knowledge and wisdom when it comes to the writings in the text, you’re probably not learning anything new, just absorbing data and information.

Lewis, in my case, is incredibly more informed and knowledgeable about the behind-the-scenes of Wall Street and the sales tactics that are and were used there (topics within Liar’s Poker). In my situation, I was reading for understanding. Parish also states:

“Learning something insightful is harder, you have to read something clearly above your current level. You need to find writers who are more knowledgeable on a particular subject than yourself. It’s also how you get smarter.”

These above strategies will continue to be in my focus throughout the selection of material, reading and reflection process of my ultimate goal: becoming wiser.


-Luke

1 comment:

  1. A very awesome blog post. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. agen domino

    ReplyDelete