Search This Blog

Monday, April 14, 2014

Lifelong Learning


It is my belief that learning should not begin or end with the educational system. While it would be great if this blog could become something more, ultimately it is a form of self-expression designed to promote my own lifelong learning. The hope is that by writing my ideas, thoughts, opinions, etc in a blog forum, as opposed to writing in a private journal or diary, I will not only have a better understanding of the topics I discuss, but also have the opportunity to interact with others, thereby increasing the desired benefit even further. Here is a quote by one of my favorite thought-leaders, Charlie Munger, on lifelong learning:

Spend each day trying to be a little wiser than you were when you woke up. Discharge your duties faithfully and well. Step by step you get ahead, but not necessarily in fast spurts. But you build discipline by preparing for fast spurts. Slug it out one inch at a time, day by day.

Being in its infant stages, Gen(Y)us still has a ways to go in terms of development and progression. However, as noted in the aforementioned quote by Munger, a little improvement each day is the goal. Therefore, I am optimistic as to the possibilities of Gen(Y)us and excited about pursuing it further.

Updated: The above portion of this post I wrote two days before what I am writing now. Looking back, I hate what I wrote above. It reads like a term paper, not like a blog post. And I no longer feel the same about some of the statements I made. I was going to delete everything and start over, but I decided against it. It occurs to me right now as I am writing this that what has happened is one of the reasons I want to write a blog. And while I do not have a well-written phrase or term for the overall purpose of Gen(Y)us, I am no longer concerned about expressing that in this post.

Which leads me to a new but related point. It is important (in my opinion) to be able to change one's mind. I imagine that this will become apparent in my posts over time.


-Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment